Friday, February 8, 2013

Has Pinterest Become My Bible?

My toes are sore, and I hadn't realized before that toes could hurt as a result of click, click, clicking on my phone or my computer. I have known for a while that I wasn't doing something correctly--- too much stuff, too much searching, too many decisions, too much to count and too little time on the things that count. I began a process of simplifying, and even that overwhelmed me. Everything I started to shave out of my house really just got shoved to the garage for a magical futuristic time when I would have the time and energy to deal with it. I became so suffocated by stuff and embarrassed by my garage that I commented that I just wanted to set my garage on fire. My mom retorts, "You have set stuff on fire before.... should I be concerned?" Well, yes. Concerned enough to stop bringing in more STUFF into the house and into life. I found myself longing for quiet because I desperately needed to hear The still, small voice, and I knew I was too overstimulated to recognize His whisper. Except I could hear enough to know I was just not right. 

My solution? So misguided. Organize! Look at these Pinterest boards on organizing! Look at the fab gadgets on Amazon that will help my linen closet be Pin-worthy! (I'm not gonna lie--- I DO love my linen closet now, and the clean-out process did help me simplify). I just don't want to get to the place where I spend more time pinning than doing. Can you imagine the epitaph? "Here lies Tifani Smith. She had inspirational Pins and organized closets. Too bad the Kingdom doesn't benefit from that." 

I thank God for giving me a desire to hear His voice, and I thank Him for communities where studying His word and accountability for applying it are so readily available. Chapter 2 in Let. It. Go. by Karen Ehman (http://www.karenehman.com/books/) I am confronted with the importance of evaluating whether the many choices available to me are Tools, Toys, or Tangents. Jesus gives such a great example of how to keep focus when you're pulled in so many directions. I pray that this week God gives me discerning eyes that would see a big Whammy 'X' associated with the things that distract me to the point that my time becomes trivial and unproductive. Relaxing with Pinterest and communicating with others on Facebook isn't a bad thing... until I get to the place where it gulps my time like a whale eating crill, and at the end of the day, the only thing I have to show for it is.... well.... nothing.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. So true. Thanks so much for sharing. Debbie Williams (OBS Leader)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tifani- This post resonates with me so very much! I realize that I can have pinterest become a tangent if I am not midful. I also recognize that a cleaner home provides me with the peace to focus more clearly on time in prayer, or with my family, or friends. I know that I am a happier, calmer, and more open to the needs of others when "my crazy" isn't distracting me. I wrote about it on my blog a month ago. http://intoourhome.blogspot.com/2012/12/happiness-is-only-real-when-shared.html

    Thanks again for sharing Tifani (OBS group 16)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chapter 2 also hit me, too. How much time do I spend on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest that takes alot of my focus off Him! And clutters up my life physically and spiritially. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tifani
    Thank you SO MUCH for participating in the blog hop. Praying for all of us as we learn to stop trying to control and start trusting God. Have a great weekend and remember to LET. IT. GO. :-)
    {Hugs} Karen Ehman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy, can I say OUCH!!!?!? Very very very well put! We keep pressing into HIS guidance and learn from the Master in all areas! he is gracious and will show us what to do in every scenario!

    ReplyDelete